It Started With a School Project: How I Fell Into Family History


Behind the Research

It Started With a School Project:
How I Fell Into Family History

 26 years and counting

Twenty-six years ago, my daughter came home from school with a homework assignment: draw a family tree going back two generations. It seemed simple enough. It wasn't. And I have never really stopped looking since.

The project was straightforward on its face. Names of parents, grandparents, great-grandparents. Fill in the boxes. Hand it in. But when my daughter set the sheet in front of me, I realized I couldn't fill it in. I had so many gaps.

My father's side was almost entirely a blank.  We had names, a few of them, but dates, and places, the connecting tissue of a family's story? Nothing. I didn't know my father's side well enough to put pen to paper. My daughter's father's side was non-existent, but this is a whole different story for a later post! 

I could have written in what little we knew and left the rest empty. Instead, something in me refused to leave those boxes blank.


The assignment that became a mission

That school project asked for two generations. What it sparked was something far bigger, a question I couldn't put down: who were these people?

The family tree as it stood — circa 2000
Great-Grandfather
Unknown
Great-Grandmother
Unknown
Great-Grandfather
Unknown
Great-Grandmother
Unknown
↓             ↓
Grandfather (MOTHEr's side)
Name only
GrandMOTHER (MOTHER's side)
Name only
↓       ↓
My daughter
Starting point
Two generations. Dozens of empty boxes. One very determined mother.

I started the way most people do, by asking relatives. My mum remembered a little. An aunt filled in one or two pieces. But my father's line was foggy with distance and silence, the kind that accumulates over generations when families move, or simply don't speak of the past. 

I had no idea what I was doing. I didn't know what genealogy records were, or where to find them, or that whole archives existed for exactly this kind of search. I just started pulling on threads.

I wasn't trying to become a genealogist. I was just a mother who couldn't leave those boxes blank.

One discovery leads to another

The first real find is something I still remember clearly. A name on a record I hadn't expected a great-grandfather. There he was, in an old census return. Occupation. Address. Age. Wife's name. Children listed below. A whole household, frozen in a single year, waiting to be found for a century.

That feeling, the one where a stranger on a page suddenly becomes your family, is indescribable the first time it happens. It's the reason I've never been able to stop.

One discovery led to another. A census led to a birth record. A birth record led to a marriage. A marriage led to a place, and a place led to a whole community I hadn't known my family belonged to. The tree that had started with empty boxes began to fill slowly, then all at once.

  • 2000
    A school homework project. A family tree with too many blank boxes. The question I couldn't shake: who were these people?
  • Early research
    First trips to libraries and local archives. Learning what records exist and how to read them. The steep, exhilarating learning curve of a complete beginner.
  • First breakthroughs
    A great-grandfather found in a census return. A family address confirmed. Names becoming people; people becoming stories. The moment the obsession became something more.
  • Going deeper
    Researching both sides of my family. Learning how records worked in different countries, Ireland, Scotland, Australia, Canada, as the family lines crossed borders and oceans.
  • Helping others
    Friends and family began asking for help with their own research. Then acquaintances. Then strangers. Somewhere along the way, a passion quietly became a profession.
  • Today
    Lost Lineage Research Services. Twenty-six years of research experience, countless brick walls turned into breakthroughs, and a belief that every family deserves to know its own story.

What I learned that no one told me at the start

There are things I know now that I wish someone had told me that first night at the kitchen table, staring at my daughter's blank family tree.

I wish I'd known that the gaps are normal, that almost every family has branches that disappear into silence, and that silence itself is often a clue. People changed their names, families emigrated under difficult circumstances, records burned in courthouse fires, the blank boxes aren't failures, they're the beginning of the real research.

I wish I'd known how much was actually out there, census records, birth, marriage, and death registers, military service files, immigration lists, church registers stretching back centuries. The sheer volume of what has been preserved, and digitized and made searchable in my lifetime is astonishing. The records that would have taken months to find in an archive in the year 2000 can now be found in an afternoon.

Where I'd tell you to start

Exactly where I started: with what you already know. Write down every name, date, and story you can gather from living relatives, those memories are the map. The records are how you follow it, and confirm the information is correct.

And I wish I'd known that the research never really ends. You don't finish a family tree, you add to it. Every answer opens two more questions, and two more doors. Twenty-six years in, I still feel that pull every time a new name surfaces from an old record.


The rest, as they say, was history

My daughter's school project got handed in with a good deal more on it than I expected. The tree went back further than two generations. It had dates and places, occupations and addresses, stories attached to names that had previously been nothing but silence.

She completed a project. I got a lifelong obsession.

What I didn't know then, was that I'd spend the next two and a half decades doing this work for other families. Sitting with the same blank boxes, following the same threads, feeling that same quiet shock of recognition when a name on a page becomes a person who belongs to someone.

That's why I started Lost Lineage Research Services. Not because I set out to build a business, but because I couldn't stop researching, and because I know firsthand how much it matters to find the answers you didn't know you were missing.

Every family has a story. Sometimes it just needs someone patient enough to go looking for it.

🌿

Your Story Is Waiting

Whether you have a full family tree or a single name on a page, that's enough to start. Let's find out what's out there together.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

DNA Testing and Genealogy: What Your Results Really Tell You

Set Realistic Expectations — and Know When to Ask for Help

You Don't Need Much. But Here's What Helps.